Istvan kiraly

Applying for a Hungarian passport

Hungarians living in Washington State who wish to apply for a biometric passport or to renew their expiring or expired passport need to contact the Consulate General of Hungary in Los Angeles.

Application for a passport must be done in person and by appointment only. For more information or to set up an appointment, call the Los Angeles Consulate General at 310.473.9344.

Please note that due to the COVID-19 pandemic the Los Angeles Consulate General has limited hours of operation and only handles certain urgent matters. Please also keep in mind that there is no remote consular day scheduled for Seattle this year, and at this point even next year’s dates are uncertain. 

It is not necessary for adults to fill out a form or bring a passport-size photo prior to applying. However, if available, the following documents should be presented: Hungarian birth certificate, address card, and valid or expired Hungarian passport. As a rule, if the applicant is more than 12 years of age, he/she must be present to have a picture taken, give fingerprints, and an electronic signature. 

Passports will be issued for the following duration: 3 years for children under 6 years of age; 5 years for minors 6-18 years of age, and 5 or 10 years for adults over 18 years of age. 

The application of minors and persons under guardianship may be submitted by the parents or legal guardian. Minors under 12 years of age do not need to appear personally as they are not required to give fingerprints. In general, both parents must be present with valid ID cards, one of which must be a Hungarian document, and 2 passport-size photos.  The presence of one parent or legal guardian is sufficient if the other parent has given his/her prior consent to the application by filling out and signing the parental consent form in front of a notary public or the honorary consular officer.

A Hungarian citizen may apply for a Hungarian passport if they are in possession of a valid proof of citizenship:  passport, ID card, certificate of citizenship or naturalization document; or a passport which expired within a year from the date of the application. In the absence of the documents listed above, or an active record in the official registry of Hungarian citizens’ data and address, the applicant must undergo a citizenship verification process prior to being issued a passport. More information on this topic may be found on the Consulate General’s website:

If there is a change in the family status of the applicant (e.g. marriage or divorce) at the time of the passport application, this must be registered in Hungary as well.

(Source: Website of the Consulate General of Hungary in Los Angeles)

Scroll to Top