The Hungarian American Association of Washington’s fabulous Membership Chairperson Elizabeth Jakab submitted this recipe for a light, summer dessert. Photo credit also goes to her, showing her version of the cake in her lovely garden.
Light summer desert with HU farmer’s cheese and seasonal fruits. It’s a very forgiving recipe, may use approximate amounts. Then you can adjust next time to your own taste.
250 grams = 8.8 oz farmers’ cheese (just scoop out an approximate amount from the container)
175 grams sour cream = approx. ¾ cups
3-4 tablespoons of sugar (taste it)
2 tablespoons of flour
3 tablespoons of cream of wheat
1.5 teaspoon baking powder
Grated rind of one lemon, lime or orange
Vanilla sugar or a little liquid vanilla
2 eggs separated
fresh fruits to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Butter ceramic pie form or use non-stick baking spray
- Separate eggs
- Whip the whites till solid peaks form
- Mix all the other ingredients together with a hand or stand mixer. It won’t be completely smooth because of the small cheese pieces.
- Carefully mix the egg whites into the cheesy mix, trying to keep the whites still fluffy
- Pour into the pie plate
- Scatter on the fruits
- Bale 35-40 minutes till light brown on the top.
- Let it cool to lukewarm
Hungarians usually scatter a little confectioner’s sugar on top with a small sieve while still warm. Can skip. You can also use vanilla sugar or cinnamon sugar if preferred.